Q. How do I know if I need to look at moving into care?
This is never an easy decision to make. The first signs of needing assistance with daily living are when the normal day-to-day tasks have become too difficult to manage without help from others. The best thing to do is discuss it with someone who respects your situation and knows you well. Perhaps this could be a family member, or your local doctor. Another way of ascertaining your needs is to consult with the Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT). Regardless of your situation they will have to assess you anyway, if you wish to enter residential aged care. So it may be a good idea to speak to them about your needs.

Q. What is an assessment?
An assessment is merely an evaluation by a member of the Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) who is a health care professional in the area of senior care. They will visit you and ask you some questions about your life and lifestyle to find the best possible care options for you. You may have anyone present with you for the assessment, such as a carer or family member. And if you wish, you may instruct your doctor to provide your medical history to the ACAT representative. These assessments are free.

Q. What if I only need care for a short time?
This is commonly known as respite care, which Maranatha provides in conjunction with permanent care accommodation. 
Respite is a period of temporary accommodation in an aged care home, which may be required for a number of reasons.

  • Trying out a home before making a decision to move permanently.

  • A carer or support person might be going away on a holiday or unavailable for a period of time.

  • In emergency situations

The government provides funding to support respite for a number of weeks throughout the year (this also requires an ACAT assessment) unless you are choosing to pay privately.

Q. What are the standards for staff working in Aged Care Facilities?
The staff working in a home should be fully trained to the highest standard. Aged Care Homes are subject to an accreditation process conducted by the Aged Care Standards and Accreditation Agency. The home must pass a series of compulsory checks to operate. 

Q. What kind of personal care can I expect to receive?
Care should be assessed and provided based on the individual needs of each and every resident. This is something you should always discuss in detail with your intended place of residence and should include things apart from your clinical care needs. These could be the activities you like to do, any community ties you have and want to maintain, what you like to eat and who your family and friends are, just to name a few.

Q. Should I consider an Enduring Power of Attorney?
An Enduring Power of Attorney is a legal document that appoints someone else (the attorney) to act on your behalf regarding financial, medical or lifestyle matters and property if you do not have the capacity to manage or understand these matters. You can get advice about preparing a power of attorney from a solicitor, a community legal centre, a state trustee company or your local magistrate's court.